Sober
Pushit
Schism
Intension
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus
Ænema

Reviews only. No links to bootlegs.

Last edited by kanaduh; 02-08-2012 at 07:48 PM..
Old 01-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45
02.08.2012 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnet Arena

*****DO NOT POST HERE UNLESS YOU WERE AT THE SHOW*****

Hooker With A Penis
Jambi
Stinkfist
Sober
Pushit
Schism
Intension
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus
Ænema

Reviews only. No links to bootlegs.

Last edited by kanaduh; 02-08-2012 at 07:48 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Resrup
02-08-2012, 07:40 PM

"Last show, fuckers. Where were we?"
Old 02-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.08.2012 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnet Arena

wes
02-08-2012, 08:03 PM

Kick ass again. Long ride home will post full review tomorrow. Maynard drank lots of wine and had some popcorn. No pot no ticks. But another tight performance. Spiral Out!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
wes
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Kick ass again. Long ride home will post full review tomorrow. Maynard drank lots of wine and had some popcorn. No pot no ticks. But another tight performance. Spiral Out!
dhughes53
02-08-2012, 08:21 PM

This was my 10th or 11th Tool show since 1993, and it was by far the best I have seen. The PA system was crystal clear, allowing one to hear all of Maynard's vocals and Maynard's performance was better than any I saw during the 10,000 Days tour. He seemed to be enjoying himself, and made several comments like 'we're just waiting for the acid to kick in' and introducing Sober, 'this song is not about the way I am now'. The light show was impressive as usual but the sound and that set list were awesome. I could do without Schism but even that sounded great. I would have loved to hear Ticks and Leaches since I have never seen that but Sober was pretty cool. Looking forward to the new album project.

Last edited by dhughes53; 02-08-2012 at 08:24 PM..
Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my 10th or 11th Tool show since 1993, and it was by far the best I have seen. The PA system was crystal clear, allowing one to hear all of Maynard's vocals and Maynard's performance was better than any I saw during the 10,000 Days tour. He seemed to be enjoying himself, and made several comments like 'we're just waiting for the acid to kick in' and introducing Sober, 'this song is not about the way I am now'. The light show was impressive as usual but the sound and that set list were awesome. I could do without Schism but even that sounded great. I would have loved to hear Ticks and Leaches since I have never seen that but Sober was pretty cool. Looking forward to the new album project.

Last edited by dhughes53; 02-08-2012 at 08:24 PM..
jabjb2's Avatar jabjb2
02-08-2012, 08:28 PM

Awesome as expected!!!!!! "Last show fuckers!!!"
Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

Awesome as expected!!!!!! "Last show fuckers!!!"
Old 02-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

phr34k
02-08-2012, 09:53 PM

Tonight was one of the tightest shows ive seen the band play in a while..Had a great time and met some awesome folks.. Couldnt get a shirt cuz I guess they only had like 4 xl's of each shirt it seems.. Poster is nice though
Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Tonight was one of the tightest shows ive seen the band play in a while..Had a great time and met some awesome folks.. Couldnt get a shirt cuz I guess they only had like 4 xl's of each shirt it seems.. Poster is nice though
mahhddgtp
02-08-2012, 10:26 PM

Good show. I thought they were going to crank it off with Third Eye from the way it sounded.

And yes, I'm a newb.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Good show. I thought they were going to crank it off with Third Eye from the way it sounded.

And yes, I'm a newb.
Rames 1
02-08-2012, 10:44 PM

First Show ever! i dont know what just happened!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

First Show ever! i dont know what just happened!
ShaolinNinjaJediMaster's Avatar ShaolinNinjaJediMaster
02-08-2012, 11:59 PM

Maynard had a few nice things to say to the audience tonight. Some of the highlights would be:

"We're just waiting for the acid to kick in before we start this shit up"

"These songs were written before most of you were even sperm"

"Last show fuckers"

Sound quality was PHENOMENAL.
It sounded great in Charlotte on Saturday but this ATLANTA show was just incredible sounding. You could hear everything perfect from where I was in the 12th row floor just a little over toward Adam's side right in front of Maynard. I had 14th row floor right in front of Danny in Charlotte. Both shows were great. Good times.
I bought over $1000 worth of tour posters this show. Thankfully they had a few left over from both Florida shows and a few others I didn't expect to see. They must have cleaned out their inventory since this was the last show. Now I am broke..lol..but it beats having to buy them off ebay. Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches and Ramen noodles for the rest of the month...lol
I was smart this time and brought a yoga mat bag to protect the posters during the show. I was glad I did that!

I saw TOOL play at the Masquerade here in Atlanta in 1993 for the Undertow tour when Maynard used to stay out front and act like a little gremlin. They didn't have any lasers or screens back in those days. Just in your face rock. I hung out backstage with them and talked about music, art, and other assorted trivia. They were all really nice, even Maynard was cordial and fun to talk to. Paul D'Amour was cool to me and gave me a green guitar pick with a star on it that says "Rock Star". It was the one he was warming up backstage with and he handed it to me before he walked on stage. Danny gave me a stick after the show. I liked TOOL back then a lot but they only had one full length CD (Undertow) and the Opiate EP out. I never imagined then that they would get as big as they have since. Over the years they have become one of my favorite bands.
I saw them on the Aenima tour when they played at The International Ballroom in Atlanta. That was a crazy mosh pit since it was all general admission with no seating. They took some people out of that show in an ambulance. I still have a mark on my scalp from some mosher floating above the crowd and kicking me in the head with spikes on his boot. I guess it was the price I payed to see them up close at that show. I bought a black styrofoam ball with the TOOL logo on it at that show. They called it an "antenna ball" Everyone who sees it now wants to buy it from me...lol...I think I'll keep it. it's sentimental to me now.

I have seen them so many times since those first 2 shows that I would need to look at my tickets to remember them all. I will say that tonights show in Atlanta was definitely awesome!

Last edited by ShaolinNinjaJediMaster; 02-09-2012 at 12:00 AM..
Old 02-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

Maynard had a few nice things to say to the audience tonight. Some of the highlights would be:

"We're just waiting for the acid to kick in before we start this shit up"

"These songs were written before most of you were even sperm"

"Last show fuckers"

Sound quality was PHENOMENAL.
It sounded great in Charlotte on Saturday but this ATLANTA show was just incredible sounding. You could hear everything perfect from where I was in the 12th row floor just a little over toward Adam's side right in front of Maynard. I had 14th row floor right in front of Danny in Charlotte. Both shows were great. Good times.
I bought over $1000 worth of tour posters this show. Thankfully they had a few left over from both Florida shows and a few others I didn't expect to see. They must have cleaned out their inventory since this was the last show. Now I am broke..lol..but it beats having to buy them off ebay. Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwiches and Ramen noodles for the rest of the month...lol
I was smart this time and brought a yoga mat bag to protect the posters during the show. I was glad I did that!

I saw TOOL play at the Masquerade here in Atlanta in 1993 for the Undertow tour when Maynard used to stay out front and act like a little gremlin. They didn't have any lasers or screens back in those days. Just in your face rock. I hung out backstage with them and talked about music, art, and other assorted trivia. They were all really nice, even Maynard was cordial and fun to talk to. Paul D'Amour was cool to me and gave me a green guitar pick with a star on it that says "Rock Star". It was the one he was warming up backstage with and he handed it to me before he walked on stage. Danny gave me a stick after the show. I liked TOOL back then a lot but they only had one full length CD (Undertow) and the Opiate EP out. I never imagined then that they would get as big as they have since. Over the years they have become one of my favorite bands.
I saw them on the Aenima tour when they played at The International Ballroom in Atlanta. That was a crazy mosh pit since it was all general admission with no seating. They took some people out of that show in an ambulance. I still have a mark on my scalp from some mosher floating above the crowd and kicking me in the head with spikes on his boot. I guess it was the price I payed to see them up close at that show. I bought a black styrofoam ball with the TOOL logo on it at that show. They called it an "antenna ball" Everyone who sees it now wants to buy it from me...lol...I think I'll keep it. it's sentimental to me now.

I have seen them so many times since those first 2 shows that I would need to look at my tickets to remember them all. I will say that tonights show in Atlanta was definitely awesome!

Last edited by ShaolinNinjaJediMaster; 02-09-2012 at 12:00 AM..
wes
02-09-2012, 12:03 AM

Got home to my laptop . Killer venue first off . Nice plush seats unlike the wooden ones we had in Charlotte saturday night .With that being said charlotte was built in the 60's . Got there around 6 and sold my ticket for face value . Then met up with some nice people from the tool army . They had a nice canopy set up with the logo of the tool army on it thats what caught my eye . Then partied with some cool dudes from tennesee . Doors opened at 7:10 and we got in . Got my signed tool poster 183/500 . Then sat down Yob had some guest on stage tonight a gorilla and a dude in a wheel chair . Drinkin and goofin because it was the last night of the tour . Maynard was very talkative tonight . I dont think he hardly put that wine bottle down . Before Sober he said this song is something I am not . Said the stuff about sperm . Someone in the isle in my section 107 shined a light it was like a flashlight not a camera and Maynard said dont shine that light in my face . I cant remember everything he said but I know right before Aenima he said. Last date of this tour Fuck You . Then when the song was over there was tons of popcorn dropped on Danny and Maynard . Maynard was pickin it up and eatin it filled up his POSTAL T-shirt with popcorn and left wine bottle in hand . Justin rocked some of the time with a black cowboy hat on . Great time tonight . All the band members look great and healthy . I defineatly see another Album and support tour . Till then spiral out . OH I forgot to mention Danny is a Beast and Adam is a great artist and guitar player . Thank you Adam for the cool Lithographs or Posters as we have been calling them .
Old 02-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
wes

Got home to my laptop . Killer venue first off . Nice plush seats unlike the wooden ones we had in Charlotte saturday night .With that being said charlotte was built in the 60's . Got there around 6 and sold my ticket for face value . Then met up with some nice people from the tool army . They had a nice canopy set up with the logo of the tool army on it thats what caught my eye . Then partied with some cool dudes from tennesee . Doors opened at 7:10 and we got in . Got my signed tool poster 183/500 . Then sat down Yob had some guest on stage tonight a gorilla and a dude in a wheel chair . Drinkin and goofin because it was the last night of the tour . Maynard was very talkative tonight . I dont think he hardly put that wine bottle down . Before Sober he said this song is something I am not . Said the stuff about sperm . Someone in the isle in my section 107 shined a light it was like a flashlight not a camera and Maynard said dont shine that light in my face . I cant remember everything he said but I know right before Aenima he said. Last date of this tour Fuck You . Then when the song was over there was tons of popcorn dropped on Danny and Maynard . Maynard was pickin it up and eatin it filled up his POSTAL T-shirt with popcorn and left wine bottle in hand . Justin rocked some of the time with a black cowboy hat on . Great time tonight . All the band members look great and healthy . I defineatly see another Album and support tour . Till then spiral out . OH I forgot to mention Danny is a Beast and Adam is a great artist and guitar player . Thank you Adam for the cool Lithographs or Posters as we have been calling them .
fazebesnappin's Avatar fazebesnappin
02-09-2012, 12:18 AM

I had awesome seats to the extreme right of the stage. From this vantage point I got to see the behind the scenes type shit. We were behind the speakers so sound wasn't that great but this is my 5th show so I enjoyed what I got to see rather than hear. When most people see Maynard walk off stage for a moment, I was at side stage watching him sit down behind Danny's kit and text msg, drink and share wine straight from the bottle, take pictures of the wine bottle and other things with his phone, all kinds of shit! Justin joined Maynard hiding behind Danny and shared a laugh while drinking Stella Artois...Thats how close I was, I could read the beer label! Maynard made sure everyone drank from his bottle of wine. Danny, Justin, Adam, the drummer from the opening band, and he was behind Danny sharing wine with the stage hands! He even took a picture with his phone of Danny as he sipped from the wine bottle. At the end of the show they were surprised by falling confetti that looked like popcorn. May have been popcorn. Justin dived into a pile of it on the stage! Maynard stuck around longer than usual at the end to make sure EVERYONE had hit his wine bottle. I don't know if the wine sharing thing was because this was the last show of the tour or if he was toasting to his "final" show. I'm sure I'll remember some cool shit I forgot to mention later so I might be posting again. I recommend this seating area to any real Tool fan that wants to see a 'different' type of show. Cool shit you may have never seen! For instance, I had a clear and close view of Danny when he tucks one stick under his arm, grabs the mallet and hits the gong, then grabs the stick from under his arm and continues playing Lateralus...all the while never missing a beat. I knew he did it, just never saw it so close LIVE!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

I had awesome seats to the extreme right of the stage. From this vantage point I got to see the behind the scenes type shit. We were behind the speakers so sound wasn't that great but this is my 5th show so I enjoyed what I got to see rather than hear. When most people see Maynard walk off stage for a moment, I was at side stage watching him sit down behind Danny's kit and text msg, drink and share wine straight from the bottle, take pictures of the wine bottle and other things with his phone, all kinds of shit! Justin joined Maynard hiding behind Danny and shared a laugh while drinking Stella Artois...Thats how close I was, I could read the beer label! Maynard made sure everyone drank from his bottle of wine. Danny, Justin, Adam, the drummer from the opening band, and he was behind Danny sharing wine with the stage hands! He even took a picture with his phone of Danny as he sipped from the wine bottle. At the end of the show they were surprised by falling confetti that looked like popcorn. May have been popcorn. Justin dived into a pile of it on the stage! Maynard stuck around longer than usual at the end to make sure EVERYONE had hit his wine bottle. I don't know if the wine sharing thing was because this was the last show of the tour or if he was toasting to his "final" show. I'm sure I'll remember some cool shit I forgot to mention later so I might be posting again. I recommend this seating area to any real Tool fan that wants to see a 'different' type of show. Cool shit you may have never seen! For instance, I had a clear and close view of Danny when he tucks one stick under his arm, grabs the mallet and hits the gong, then grabs the stick from under his arm and continues playing Lateralus...all the while never missing a beat. I knew he did it, just never saw it so close LIVE!
02-09-2012, 12:20 AM

I meant to say extra ticket . And I forgot the funniest thing Maynard said . Something like We are waiting for the acid to kick in . Maynard also gave Travis the YOB drummer a bottle of wine unopened after the finish of the drumoff and During Aenima he shared a sip of wine with one of the lab coat guys that are like stage hands . It was an awesome fucking show tonight .

Last edited by wes; 02-09-2012 at 12:24 AM..
Old 02-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #13
wes

I meant to say extra ticket . And I forgot the funniest thing Maynard said . Something like We are waiting for the acid to kick in . Maynard also gave Travis the YOB drummer a bottle of wine unopened after the finish of the drumoff and During Aenima he shared a sip of wine with one of the lab coat guys that are like stage hands . It was an awesome fucking show tonight .

Last edited by wes; 02-09-2012 at 12:24 AM..
02-09-2012, 01:11 AM

i just looked at my Atlanta poster and Maynard signed it with his normal "M" but instead of the little "o" he puts in the top he put "666" there instead. Did anybody else get that also? Has he done this in other cities?
Old 02-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

i just looked at my Atlanta poster and Maynard signed it with his normal "M" but instead of the little "o" he puts in the top he put "666" there instead. Did anybody else get that also? Has he done this in other cities?
wes
02-09-2012, 04:57 AM

My signed Atlanta poster has the littlt o above the M .
Old 02-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #15
wes

My signed Atlanta poster has the littlt o above the M .
ethreepeeoh
02-09-2012, 08:34 AM

FUCK YOU.... last show....
Some of these songs we are playing tonight were wrote before some of you were sperm... Some of them were written when you first started giving sperm... food for thought.

One of the best TOOL shows I've ever been to... and I've been to many.
Maynard seemed to have a little trouble with vocals early... (this is not criticism... more an observation... it was the last date on the TOOL tour and he's been doing the Puscifer thing too)... I'm impressed he still HAS a voice after all that. I did notice that after the 2 or 3rd song he left the stage and when he came back... with the bottle, all those little problems went away. Opening with Hooker pretty much took me out-of-mind... Fourty Six & 2 made it hard to hold everything in... hell most of the show I felt like I was in some sort of trance... I've needed this for a while. This reminder that I am not alone here... that facing my fear is the fastest way to truth. There's no love in fear and today I have very little fear.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

FUCK YOU.... last show....
Some of these songs we are playing tonight were wrote before some of you were sperm... Some of them were written when you first started giving sperm... food for thought.

One of the best TOOL shows I've ever been to... and I've been to many.
Maynard seemed to have a little trouble with vocals early... (this is not criticism... more an observation... it was the last date on the TOOL tour and he's been doing the Puscifer thing too)... I'm impressed he still HAS a voice after all that. I did notice that after the 2 or 3rd song he left the stage and when he came back... with the bottle, all those little problems went away. Opening with Hooker pretty much took me out-of-mind... Fourty Six & 2 made it hard to hold everything in... hell most of the show I felt like I was in some sort of trance... I've needed this for a while. This reminder that I am not alone here... that facing my fear is the fastest way to truth. There's no love in fear and today I have very little fear.
ethreepeeoh
02-09-2012, 08:35 AM

FUCK YOU
Old 02-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

FUCK YOU
Ganjalf's Avatar Ganjalf
02-09-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaolinNinjaJediMaster View Post
yours is unique
Old 02-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #18
The Lube

Bincount™: 5355

Quote:
yours is unique
02-09-2012, 10:07 AM

Have been a favorite of mine since 96 yet this show was the first I've seen live.

The sonic accuracy and visual stimulation was amazing. Will go every chance I get from now on.

I got a laugh out of "ok, let the drumming faggotry begin".
Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Have been a favorite of mine since 96 yet this show was the first I've seen live.

The sonic accuracy and visual stimulation was amazing. Will go every chance I get from now on.

I got a laugh out of "ok, let the drumming faggotry begin".
Rodney Ashley 2
02-09-2012, 10:44 AM

Great Show! My 10th! The sound was amazing! Maynard was on his cell phone a couple of times between songs...at one point he said, "I'm texting my mom." He was pretty talkative..
thanks Tool!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #20
Level 3 - Talker

Great Show! My 10th! The sound was amazing! Maynard was on his cell phone a couple of times between songs...at one point he said, "I'm texting my mom." He was pretty talkative..
thanks Tool!
TypeO's Avatar TypeO
02-09-2012, 11:51 AM

Everything I imagined and then some.

I, too, was at the Dec. 7, 1996 International Ballroom show, the only other time I ever saw Tool.
It was a long time and many brain cells ago, so I don't remember a lot of the details, but I do remember when they played Opiate the place fucking exploded (as well it should).

The Duluth show last night was incredible.
I was in 122, back left corner of the floor, first row (the aisle around the floor was directly in front of me.
Other than a fat bitch working security who kept shining her light in front of me trying to "bust" phonecam users, the view was great, and the sound was incredible.

I was wondering when someone was gonna mention the "drumming faggotry" remark, that was pretty funny.

For me, the show confirmed my opinion that Tool is, without a doubt, the greatest band in existence today.
They have achieved the same iconic level of being that Led Zeppelin had in the 70s.
The only other group to even come close to this level was perhaps Metallica during the 80s.
They combine all the elements: the mystique, the incredible studio releases and the ability to perform the material live flawleesly.

I'm 51, and I've seen a lot of concerts, but last night may have been the best performance (combination of music and visuals) I've ever seen by any band ever.

And yeah, that includes when I saw Led Zeppelin in 1977.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #21
Level 3 - Talker

Everything I imagined and then some.

I, too, was at the Dec. 7, 1996 International Ballroom show, the only other time I ever saw Tool.
It was a long time and many brain cells ago, so I don't remember a lot of the details, but I do remember when they played Opiate the place fucking exploded (as well it should).

The Duluth show last night was incredible.
I was in 122, back left corner of the floor, first row (the aisle around the floor was directly in front of me.
Other than a fat bitch working security who kept shining her light in front of me trying to "bust" phonecam users, the view was great, and the sound was incredible.

I was wondering when someone was gonna mention the "drumming faggotry" remark, that was pretty funny.

For me, the show confirmed my opinion that Tool is, without a doubt, the greatest band in existence today.
They have achieved the same iconic level of being that Led Zeppelin had in the 70s.
The only other group to even come close to this level was perhaps Metallica during the 80s.
They combine all the elements: the mystique, the incredible studio releases and the ability to perform the material live flawleesly.

I'm 51, and I've seen a lot of concerts, but last night may have been the best performance (combination of music and visuals) I've ever seen by any band ever.

mmike032
02-09-2012, 12:34 PM

not much to add except that was the best Tool show I've ever seen... no doubt about it
sound was incredible, Maynard was at the top of his game along with Adam, Justin, and Danny ( but they always are IMO)
took my 10 yr old son for his first Tool experience. He's been begging me to take him since he was about 7.
great time, something I will always remember and I'm sure he will also
Old 02-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #22
Level 3 - Talker

not much to add except that was the best Tool show I've ever seen... no doubt about it
sound was incredible, Maynard was at the top of his game along with Adam, Justin, and Danny ( but they always are IMO)
took my 10 yr old son for his first Tool experience. He's been begging me to take him since he was about 7.
great time, something I will always remember and I'm sure he will also
02-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Are you sure Maynard didn't say
"Let the drumming pageantry begin"

I might be wrong but that's what I heard.

...and Type0, my favorite band of all time is Led Zeppelin
TOOL is in my top 5 though.
Good to hear everyone had a great concert!
Hopefully they will go into the studio soon and do a new CD.
May 2012 ?
Old 02-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Are you sure Maynard didn't say
"Let the drumming pageantry begin"

I might be wrong but that's what I heard.

Good to hear everyone had a great concert!
Hopefully they will go into the studio soon and do a new CD.
May 2012 ?
Slicnic33
02-09-2012, 03:26 PM

He said "let the drumming faggotry begin"
Old 02-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

02-09-2012, 03:52 PM

I guess I don't know for 100% sure but I turned to my friend and asked if I'd heard that correctly and he was already laughing and replied with a "yes, I think so".

Also laughed when he came back and asked who won and DC raised his arm to which MJK replied "highly unlikely" or someting to that effect.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #25
Level 1 - Lurker

I guess I don't know for 100% sure but I turned to my friend and asked if I'd heard that correctly and he was already laughing and replied with a "yes, I think so".

Also laughed when he came back and asked who won and DC raised his arm to which MJK replied "highly unlikely" or someting to that effect.
mondegreen
02-09-2012, 04:28 PM

My 5th Tool show. Definitely in the upper tier of shows I've seen, but nothing will ever touch the gig they played in 2001 at the Tabernacle.

Anyways, this show was quite a good one. Danny in a Lakers jersey, Justin looked like a mountain man, Maynard wearing a POSTAL shirt with a tonfa strapped to his wait, and Adam just dressed like Adam.

This was my first time hearing Hooker with a Penis live, and Maynard changed the lyrics quite a bit. ("Slipknot Tee," "In between slurps of cock," and others that I couldn't quite make out).

Most of the songs played are right at home on the setlist, Sober and Schism are two that I'd remove, but Maynard's intro to Sober made the song worth it ("This is a song about something I'm not.").

Which leads to my next point: Maynard was as loose as I've ever seen him. The last time Tool was in Atlanta, Maynard was the weak link for the band, but he redeemed himself this time around by letting loose and having a good time. He had lots of vocal inflections and minor lyric tweaks that kept my attention, and his stage presence was just generally interesting tonight. I'm thinking he might need a few bottles of wine for every show.

Other highlights:
Yob coming on stage during Lateralus and taking Justin and Adam's places during the drum off. Maynard "remembering" Aaron's name.

Maynard passing the wine bottle to the crew members. A nice gesture.

Popcorn dropping at the end of Ænema.

If they had played either Ticks or Parabola, the setlist would have been near perfect. As it stands, I enjoyed the show and I'm glad I made it out to this one.

See y'all in another 3 years.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #26
Level 3 - Talker

My 5th Tool show. Definitely in the upper tier of shows I've seen, but nothing will ever touch the gig they played in 2001 at the Tabernacle.

Anyways, this show was quite a good one. Danny in a Lakers jersey, Justin looked like a mountain man, Maynard wearing a POSTAL shirt with a tonfa strapped to his wait, and Adam just dressed like Adam.

This was my first time hearing Hooker with a Penis live, and Maynard changed the lyrics quite a bit. ("Slipknot Tee," "In between slurps of cock," and others that I couldn't quite make out).

Most of the songs played are right at home on the setlist, Sober and Schism are two that I'd remove, but Maynard's intro to Sober made the song worth it ("This is a song about something I'm not.").

Which leads to my next point: Maynard was as loose as I've ever seen him. The last time Tool was in Atlanta, Maynard was the weak link for the band, but he redeemed himself this time around by letting loose and having a good time. He had lots of vocal inflections and minor lyric tweaks that kept my attention, and his stage presence was just generally interesting tonight. I'm thinking he might need a few bottles of wine for every show.

Other highlights:
Yob coming on stage during Lateralus and taking Justin and Adam's places during the drum off. Maynard "remembering" Aaron's name.

Maynard passing the wine bottle to the crew members. A nice gesture.

Popcorn dropping at the end of Ænema.

If they had played either Ticks or Parabola, the setlist would have been near perfect. As it stands, I enjoyed the show and I'm glad I made it out to this one.

See y'all in another 3 years.
EyeCu
02-09-2012, 04:29 PM

After seeing my first tool show at Red Rocks in Denver for their last tour, I felt more prepared to completely enjoy the experience. Everyone heard the comment about waiting for the acid to kick in, but during the encore Maynard replaced "learn to swim" with "learn to trip". Luckily I had a healthy dose of psilocybin flowing through my blood. This helped me to more accurately interpret the band's overall message. I feel fixed now. People listen to this man and trip at the show or you are doing it wrong. Other highlights included Maynard telling Aaron, the opener, he won because he remembered his name. Also during Ænema, Maynard slipped in "Fuck fat people". I guess he realizes that they choose to be that way. It was an amazing night and I know we want to relive the show through these reviews, but no words can adequately explain Tool live. Just go back next time, and if you are smart be at the last show of the tour in good seats tripping. (like I was last night)
Old 02-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

After seeing my first tool show at Red Rocks in Denver for their last tour, I felt more prepared to completely enjoy the experience. Everyone heard the comment about waiting for the acid to kick in, but during the encore Maynard replaced "learn to swim" with "learn to trip". Luckily I had a healthy dose of psilocybin flowing through my blood. This helped me to more accurately interpret the band's overall message. I feel fixed now. People listen to this man and trip at the show or you are doing it wrong. Other highlights included Maynard telling Aaron, the opener, he won because he remembered his name. Also during Ænema, Maynard slipped in "Fuck fat people". I guess he realizes that they choose to be that way. It was an amazing night and I know we want to relive the show through these reviews, but no words can adequately explain Tool live. Just go back next time, and if you are smart be at the last show of the tour in good seats tripping. (like I was last night)
daviscmd82
02-09-2012, 04:59 PM

This was a great show! It was better than when I saw them in '07 in Birmingham, AL. I knew it was going to be awesome, when "Hooker With a Penis" was the first song played. Before this tour "Sober" has been played in years. They played tight the whole time, and Maynard had a lot of funny things to say. It was also unique to see him drinking wine on stage. The only annoying thing was the security at the venue. There was a guy to the left of me taking pictures, and they accused me of it. This older security lady said, "if we catch you again, you're going to have to leave". My phone was in the car. It kind of made me nervous, because the guy wouldn't stop taking pictures. I didn't let that ruin the evening though. I definitely want to see them again after they release their new album. I hope they come somewhere near Nashville.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

This was a great show! It was better than when I saw them in '07 in Birmingham, AL. I knew it was going to be awesome, when "Hooker With a Penis" was the first song played. Before this tour "Sober" has been played in years. They played tight the whole time, and Maynard had a lot of funny things to say. It was also unique to see him drinking wine on stage. The only annoying thing was the security at the venue. There was a guy to the left of me taking pictures, and they accused me of it. This older security lady said, "if we catch you again, you're going to have to leave". My phone was in the car. It kind of made me nervous, because the guy wouldn't stop taking pictures. I didn't let that ruin the evening though. I definitely want to see them again after they release their new album. I hope they come somewhere near Nashville.
mmike032
02-09-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicnic33 View Post
yep, thats what I heard clear as day...
also at the end of Aenema it sounded like Maynard slipped in a couple
"let us trip, let us trip" instead of swim.... coulda been me though

edit: nevermind , seems someone above me caught it also

Last edited by mmike032; 02-09-2012 at 05:05 PM..
Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #29
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicnic33 View Post
yep, thats what I heard clear as day...
also at the end of Aenema it sounded like Maynard slipped in a couple
"let us trip, let us trip" instead of swim.... coulda been me though

edit: nevermind , seems someone above me caught it also

Last edited by mmike032; 02-09-2012 at 05:05 PM..
Croma
02-09-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resrup View Post
NO. "Last show, fuck you! Where were we?"
Old 02-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resrup View Post
NO. "Last show, fuck you! Where were we?"
Croma
02-09-2012, 07:19 PM

Arrived late due to an emergency, but made it in time for pushit. Had to kick fuckers out of our seats.....twice. Sound was excellent, everyone on point.

I have never seen anyone fill in on Lateralus except for drummers and Tom Morello, so I was kinda surprised when the bassist and guitarist from YOB joined in. They weren't that great though, but I'm sure they are good friends of the band.

Oh yeah - when the popcorn dropped JC belly dived into, began making snow angels (or popcorn angels I guess) and throwing it all over himself....really funny. Maynard stayed on stage a long time, fist pounded adam jones, waved to the crowd, polished Danny Carey's gong cymbol. All the other band members stayed on stage a long time waving to the crowd and hugging each other, it was cool.

I was so pissed I bumped into some Tool fans at IHOP and asked if the band had played Ticks and Leeches and they said yes - so relieved to find out I only missed Sober, not nearly as upset now. Obviously they didn't know the names of half the songs.

Please come further south next tour! Birmingham, New Orleans, and Pensacola miss you!

Last edited by Croma; 02-09-2012 at 07:21 PM..
Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #31
Level 4 - Thinker

Arrived late due to an emergency, but made it in time for pushit. Had to kick fuckers out of our seats.....twice. Sound was excellent, everyone on point.

I have never seen anyone fill in on Lateralus except for drummers and Tom Morello, so I was kinda surprised when the bassist and guitarist from YOB joined in. They weren't that great though, but I'm sure they are good friends of the band.

Oh yeah - when the popcorn dropped JC belly dived into, began making snow angels (or popcorn angels I guess) and throwing it all over himself....really funny. Maynard stayed on stage a long time, fist pounded adam jones, waved to the crowd, polished Danny Carey's gong cymbol. All the other band members stayed on stage a long time waving to the crowd and hugging each other, it was cool.

I was so pissed I bumped into some Tool fans at IHOP and asked if the band had played Ticks and Leeches and they said yes - so relieved to find out I only missed Sober, not nearly as upset now. Obviously they didn't know the names of half the songs.

Please come further south next tour! Birmingham, New Orleans, and Pensacola miss you!

Last edited by Croma; 02-09-2012 at 07:21 PM..
ethreepeeoh
02-09-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondegreen View Post
I too was at that Tabernacle show. Me and my wife were up top for 2-3 songs then we decided to try to get on the floor... when we got down there a big space opened up and we ended up about 50 ft. from the stage. I do remember that "Opiate" made it worth standing in the block-long line for 3 hours... thanks for bringing up the memory. 2nd only to the monsoon in Birmingham a couple years later when Maynard told the fans that he appreciated everyone sticking around during the rain to see them..." I wouldn't have" he said. Then the last time I saw them in B-ham he remarked that he was glad it wasn't raining. I have MANY great memories of TOOL but overall, last night was the best show I've ever been to... period. I wish Alex Grey and the guys would get together and make a DVD... like a long docu-whatever... along the lines of the singles DVDs.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondegreen View Post
I too was at that Tabernacle show. Me and my wife were up top for 2-3 songs then we decided to try to get on the floor... when we got down there a big space opened up and we ended up about 50 ft. from the stage. I do remember that "Opiate" made it worth standing in the block-long line for 3 hours... thanks for bringing up the memory. 2nd only to the monsoon in Birmingham a couple years later when Maynard told the fans that he appreciated everyone sticking around during the rain to see them..." I wouldn't have" he said. Then the last time I saw them in B-ham he remarked that he was glad it wasn't raining. I have MANY great memories of TOOL but overall, last night was the best show I've ever been to... period. I wish Alex Grey and the guys would get together and make a DVD... like a long docu-whatever... along the lines of the singles DVDs.
FistTOOL
02-09-2012, 11:14 PM

a short story: You may not believe me, but my friend and I saw Maynard before the show in Duluth. He was right there, amongst us mere mortals, walking through the crowd, dressed as a police officer. He was walking briskly and talking on the phone. But it was him. As he walked by, I said to my friend, "That cop looks like Maynard." My friend, who has followed TOOL for as long as I have (15 years) agreed and asked, "Are you sure that's not him?" I replied that it wasn't, "It just looks like him." This occurred about 20 minutes before TOOL took the stage. When Maynard emerged on stage, it was clear that he had a night stick on his hip and it became clear that he was dressed as an police officer. He had removed the more formal officer vest that he had on in the lobby (he had on a shirt that read "Postal" during the concert) but the rest of the uniform was in tact. Before I could say anything, my friend punched me on the arm and accused me of ruining our opportunity to meet one of our personal, musical heros. I don't know what I would have said to him. I'm not sure if he would have given us the time of day, but I missed the chance to find out because I doubted my (and my friend's) intuition. The most that I can say is that I made eye contact with Maynard, but I can say no more. And, yes...I do have a man crush on Maynard.

By the way, the concert was amazing. Best of the four I've been to in the past 6 years. I hope when Maynard said "Fuck you, last concert" he wasn't making a more significant statement about the band's future or lack thereof. I hope we get to see another album and at least one more round of touring. Take care.

Last edited by FistTOOL; 02-09-2012 at 11:16 PM..
Old 02-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

a short story: You may not believe me, but my friend and I saw Maynard before the show in Duluth. He was right there, amongst us mere mortals, walking through the crowd, dressed as a police officer. He was walking briskly and talking on the phone. But it was him. As he walked by, I said to my friend, "That cop looks like Maynard." My friend, who has followed TOOL for as long as I have (15 years) agreed and asked, "Are you sure that's not him?" I replied that it wasn't, "It just looks like him." This occurred about 20 minutes before TOOL took the stage. When Maynard emerged on stage, it was clear that he had a night stick on his hip and it became clear that he was dressed as an police officer. He had removed the more formal officer vest that he had on in the lobby (he had on a shirt that read "Postal" during the concert) but the rest of the uniform was in tact. Before I could say anything, my friend punched me on the arm and accused me of ruining our opportunity to meet one of our personal, musical heros. I don't know what I would have said to him. I'm not sure if he would have given us the time of day, but I missed the chance to find out because I doubted my (and my friend's) intuition. The most that I can say is that I made eye contact with Maynard, but I can say no more. And, yes...I do have a man crush on Maynard.

By the way, the concert was amazing. Best of the four I've been to in the past 6 years. I hope when Maynard said "Fuck you, last concert" he wasn't making a more significant statement about the band's future or lack thereof. I hope we get to see another album and at least one more round of touring. Take care.

Last edited by FistTOOL; 02-09-2012 at 11:16 PM..
TypeO's Avatar TypeO
02-10-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Same here.
Overall, Zeppelin is my favorite band of all time.
I grew up on them.
Tool is definitely my second.
I just meant Tool is the greatest band currently (of any active bands).
There are legendary bands still performing, but Tool is at the top of their game.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #34
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Same here.
Overall, Zeppelin is my favorite band of all time.
I grew up on them.
Tool is definitely my second.
I just meant Tool is the greatest band currently (of any active bands).
There are legendary bands still performing, but Tool is at the top of their game.
tooldude's Avatar tooldude
02-10-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
You should post a picture of it.
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23
Old 02-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #35
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
You should post a picture of it.
09.08.01 06.15.07 06.17.07 06.23.07 06.29.07 08.07.09 08.08.09 06.25.10 06.26.10 01.24.12 02.04.12 06.23.12 01.22.16 01.23.16 06.07.17 06.08.17 05.20.18 05.08.19 11.02.19 01.29.20 03.04.22 03.18.22 05.25.23
TypeO's Avatar TypeO
02-10-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeO View Post

Also, to be fair to Zeppelin, the show I saw in '77 was the Tampa rainout/riot on June 3, 1977 where they only played 3 songs.
That still remains my FAVORITE concert, though.

Last edited by TypeO; 02-10-2012 at 06:59 AM..
Old 02-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #36
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeO View Post

Also, to be fair to Zeppelin, the show I saw in '77 was the Tampa rainout/riot on June 3, 1977 where they only played 3 songs.
That still remains my FAVORITE concert, though.

Last edited by TypeO; 02-10-2012 at 06:59 AM..
TypeO's Avatar TypeO
02-10-2012, 07:21 AM

Anyone else notice he changed the order of the "Fuck all these" lyrics on AEnima?
He started with the "Fuck retro anything, fuck your tattoos" verse, and then went back to the "Fuck L. Ron Hubbard" verse.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #37
Level 3 - Talker

Anyone else notice he changed the order of the "Fuck all these" lyrics on AEnima?
He started with the "Fuck retro anything, fuck your tattoos" verse, and then went back to the "Fuck L. Ron Hubbard" verse.
livid star's Avatar livid star
02-10-2012, 09:36 AM

Ok, I am now well rested after my extensive travels to attend this show. It was 100% worth it! I posted a pretty scathing review/opinion of the 1/15/12 Las Vegas show I was at, but let me just clarify now that it was not Tool's fault.

Finally, I now own a coherent memory of live Pushit..I just felt like crying during the break down, partly because I couldn't believe it was happening..like in the greater sense, I mean I knew the setlist but just after many years of wishing-- yeah, it was my personal highlight. Additionally, I think they hit it out of the park with choosing Hooker With a Penis to open with on this tour. The song perfectly sets the tone for the rest of the show.

They played their songs quite impeccably. They must have been so excited about it being the last show, you could see how thrilled they all were. I loved their energy, it made me feel like there are plenty more great album(s) and shows to come. At least that's the hope I cling to and it gets me through my post-show blues.

Venue was decent enough. My seat was also far right of the side stage so I had a different view, sans light and laser show, but I was able to pick up on their amazing fusions while seeing them execute their craft up close and personal. Everyone should make it their pilgrimage to obtain this type seat as to watch Danny unleash his rhythmic fury. It seems to me that after only 20 years, Adam is finding his 'rock star stance'. Albeit quite trepidatiously and stealth like before he seemingly becomes too uncomfortable, or what ever. He did his fair share of head bobbing, devil horn throwing and what...smiling?! I don't recall what song it was, but during one of his bridges, he even walked atop a stage height speaker toward and into the audience area before quickly returning to his comfort zone. He's pretty fucking awesome either way, I just felt happy for him in that moment.

So my post show melancholia is running rampant but I am reminded how greatful I am that they are still performing. I feel that that speaks to their desire to create more for their fan$. I am one of those brands of Tool fans that will mortage my home again to have funds to catch as many of their shows as I can in their current cycle. There is no drug that can recreate the feeling of seeing these musicians together, jamming out the songs that are the soundtrack of your soul.

Tool World Tour 2013?! Kicks of spring/early summer, just as the new album drops - is that realistic enough?

Thank you TOOL!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #38

Bincount™: 3

Ok, I am now well rested after my extensive travels to attend this show. It was 100% worth it! I posted a pretty scathing review/opinion of the 1/15/12 Las Vegas show I was at, but let me just clarify now that it was not Tool's fault.

Finally, I now own a coherent memory of live Pushit..I just felt like crying during the break down, partly because I couldn't believe it was happening..like in the greater sense, I mean I knew the setlist but just after many years of wishing-- yeah, it was my personal highlight. Additionally, I think they hit it out of the park with choosing Hooker With a Penis to open with on this tour. The song perfectly sets the tone for the rest of the show.

They played their songs quite impeccably. They must have been so excited about it being the last show, you could see how thrilled they all were. I loved their energy, it made me feel like there are plenty more great album(s) and shows to come. At least that's the hope I cling to and it gets me through my post-show blues.

Venue was decent enough. My seat was also far right of the side stage so I had a different view, sans light and laser show, but I was able to pick up on their amazing fusions while seeing them execute their craft up close and personal. Everyone should make it their pilgrimage to obtain this type seat as to watch Danny unleash his rhythmic fury. It seems to me that after only 20 years, Adam is finding his 'rock star stance'. Albeit quite trepidatiously and stealth like before he seemingly becomes too uncomfortable, or what ever. He did his fair share of head bobbing, devil horn throwing and what...smiling?! I don't recall what song it was, but during one of his bridges, he even walked atop a stage height speaker toward and into the audience area before quickly returning to his comfort zone. He's pretty fucking awesome either way, I just felt happy for him in that moment.

So my post show melancholia is running rampant but I am reminded how greatful I am that they are still performing. I feel that that speaks to their desire to create more for their fan$. I am one of those brands of Tool fans that will mortage my home again to have funds to catch as many of their shows as I can in their current cycle. There is no drug that can recreate the feeling of seeing these musicians together, jamming out the songs that are the soundtrack of your soul.

Tool World Tour 2013?! Kicks of spring/early summer, just as the new album drops - is that realistic enough?

Thank you TOOL!
02-10-2012, 11:31 AM

They played some songs. I danced. The lights went up. I went to my hotel and slept.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #39
Level 3 - Talker

They played some songs. I danced. The lights went up. I went to my hotel and slept.
TypeO's Avatar TypeO
02-10-2012, 05:07 PM

I've been reading the reviews from this and shows from the previous week, and I've noticed a lot of remarks about not being that excited to hear Schism.
Perhaps most of the people saying that have seen a lot of their shows, and were hoping for something different.

All I can say is Schism was one of the most intense songs of the night.
I was overwhelmed at the combination of sight and sound on it.
It's not particularly my favorite song, but it was one of the best performances of the night to me.

And yes, Hooker With a Penis kicked the show off with studded steel-toe boots.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #40
Level 3 - Talker

I've been reading the reviews from this and shows from the previous week, and I've noticed a lot of remarks about not being that excited to hear Schism.
Perhaps most of the people saying that have seen a lot of their shows, and were hoping for something different.

All I can say is Schism was one of the most intense songs of the night.
I was overwhelmed at the combination of sight and sound on it.
It's not particularly my favorite song, but it was one of the best performances of the night to me.

And yes, Hooker With a Penis kicked the show off with studded steel-toe boots.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply